Dagger GraphQL API
What is the Dagger GraphQL API?
The Dagger GraphQL API is a unified interface for programming the Dagger Engine using any standard GraphQL client. GraphQL serves as a low-level language-agnostic API framework for all Dagger operations.
In practice, interacting with the API directly is optional. You can instead use a Dagger SDK for one of the supported languages, or use the Dagger CLI.
Who is it for?
The Dagger GraphQL API may be a good fit if you are...
- A "designated devops person" who doesn't think of themselves as a developer - nothing makes you happier than a battle-hardened shell script.
- A developer interested in building CI pipelines with code, but without a Dagger SDK for your language of choice.
- A Dagger "power user" who wants to learn more about how Dagger works, or who wants direct access to Dagger functionality bypassing the Dagger SDKs.
- A GraphQL veteran who wants to apply your existing knowledge to shorten the Dagger learning curve.
The Dagger GraphQL API may not be a good fit if you are...
- A developer who doesn't know GraphQL, and is not interested in learning it.
- Someone who loves writing YAML all day, thank you very much.
- A container skeptic: the less containers are involved, the happier you are.
To get started, understand the API and try it out.